Water Cannon Repair
Date: January 2021
Project: Water Cannon Repair
Integrated Reliability Solutions have been involved with reliability for over 15 years and considered by many as an industry leader in this field.
Integrated Reliability Solutions were approached by one of the Hunter Valley coal mines to inspect and come up with a suitable repair for the leaking water cannons. On inspection of the water cannon, it was noted that a number of components had worn due to lack of lubrication which allowed the water to leak when not in use.
- “O” Rings
- Upper Bearing (coupling).
- Lower Bearing (Coupling).
- Isolation valve
Strip, Inspect, Quote & Repair
- The water cannon is stripped & photos taken.
- An inspection report is provided to the customer together with a quotation to repair.
- Once approval is provided & a purchase order is received IRS will start the repair.
- Coupling faces are repaired or replaced depending on the severity of wear/ corrosion.
- New bearing & seal repair kits are procured & installed.
- Grease is applied and water cannon assembled.
- Grease points are filled.
- A pressure test is completed to ensure that no leaks are detected prior to dispatch.
- The water cannon is painted & packed ready for dispatch.
- Transport is then arranged for water cannon to be returned to site.
During the repair of the water cannon, IRS modify the bearings to allow grease to reach the sealing “O” ring. This helps prevent corrosion and “O” ring tear.
IRS also recommend fitting a single point lubricator to the swivel points to ensure sufficient grease is present at all times. We have found that this addition extends the life cannon.